Smart guides help you to align elements located on the same hierarchical level. They appear if
- an element is dragged and its outer or center bounds reach another element's outer bounds or center
- an element reaches the outer bounds or center of the parent cell
- the baselines of the texts are at the same position.
- the bounds of a nested element reach the padding
- the bounds of an element reach the margin of another element.
Smart guides can be turned on or off by the toolbar button or menu entry View > Smart Guides.